Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Garden tour in June

Nowadays, when I walk to the barn to milk goats, it's like walking through the perfume aisle in a fancy store (not that I ever walked through the perfume aisle in a fancy store, but it's a good image, yes?).
My old English roses and honeysuckle are so fragrant that their aroma reaches the inside of the barn when I milk.  I don't know what happened to our honeysuckle.  It might be on steroids because it has climbed 30 feet up into a tree, and another plant has climbed up to the third story of our house, shooting its sweet smell into our bedroom window.  I'm not complaining.





Ahhhhh, June is here!  Everything is growing so fast.  The figs on the South end of the barn are happy, and so will we once we eat them.  The blueberries are cranking as well.  We are eating peas, spinach, collards, kale, chard and lettuce out of the garden!  The spring planted garlic looks divine.  Calendula is spreading its cheer, soon to be infused into oil for my goat milk soaps.  The cauliflower and cabbages look shitty, since the %^*$# flea beetles and slugs are damaging them. The tomatoes and peppers in the greenhouse are nice to look at, and so are the carrots.  










The whole garden is IN!  Eva planted our entire crop of beans, bush and pole beans, and why she has to do this in princess garb, I don't know.  It probably makes the beans germinate and grow better.


What else is going on?  
The weather has been awesome, so we've had plenty of backyard barbeques (with the goats maaa-ing at us)...


We are learning more and more about bees...


Knitting by the pond... need I say more?


I'm having fun shooting demo movies for my online cheese making class.


And flowers, always flowers...






20 comments:

  1. You are sooooooo lucky to be living on a farm. I am so jealous of you. I grew up in the Big Apple, and although some people may think I was fortunate, the people who think that probably have no taste buds. I have already requested of myself that in my next life I will be born, and raised on a farm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phyllis, I totally understand your yearning. When I was a girl, I wanted to live on a farm more than anything! I worked hard to make that dream a reality. Maybe you can, too. In the meantime, wishing you reincarnation as a farmer in your next life!

      Delete
  2. Can I come live with you? We are so tired of dry dry dry and brown brown brown. We are having a stretch of "cool" weather. It's in the mid to high 80s but the report says it's going to 90s next week and maybe to low 100s at the end of next week. Are we completely crazy? Why did we choose this place you may ask? We chose it as a transition as a way to get me out of my corporate job (Phyllis I agree with Corina. It can be done and I'm living proof). Now we're working on where to go next. Maybe the Big Island Hawaii with its challenging young volcanic soil. AH! Can't get away from challenges but oh well. That's what happens when you're a spoiled Iowan. Pert near everything is challenging.

    Keep posting. You're my visual eye vacation whenever you do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My heart goes out to you, it really does! Dry and brown and hot... yuck! Hawaii sounds pretty darn awesome, though!

      Delete
  3. Doesn't Eva do most things in princess garb? I am in love with your garden progress! We are looking at properties up river.......the fle beetles everyone that way seem to have are scaring me a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kai, YES! Move upriver! We will wine and dine you!
      Flea beetles can be dealt with via floatable row covers. Don't let them scare you!

      Delete
    2. I think we are leaning that way. Being so close to the city is making me crazy!

      Delete
  4. Oh my! So much gorgeousness - I can't get over it. So glad I hopped over here from Soulemama's garden post. What a garden utopia. I can smell it through the computer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how lovely...... One day we would love to live up river. We are just waiting another year to see if we can buy a house! Life just seems easier out that way.. .. Peaceful and beautiful.... ✌💜😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlane, life is certainly more peaceful and beautiful upriver than in a city... but not necessarily easier!

      Delete
  6. Oh how lovely...... One day we would love to live up river. We are just waiting another year to see if we can buy a house! Life just seems easier out that way.. .. Peaceful and beautiful.... ✌💜😁

    ReplyDelete
  7. Where can I put in a plug for your soap? I just finished one bar and am on my second. It's such high quality! It has attributes that make it like hard milled which means it lasts forever! How did you do it? Don't reveal any secrets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you love my goat milk soap! You can share my website with your friends and social media sites if you want! Here are my soaps:
      https://www.etsy.com/shop/creationsbycorina?section_id=13792834&ref=shopsection_leftnav_3

      Delete
  8. Your homestead is beautiful and oh so inspiring. Your hard work and charm shows in how lovely everything is. I've pinned a few photos on Pinterest. I'm in the process of turning our former working market farm, where everything had to be functional and there wasn't time for beauty, into a lovely homestead. I'll get there, and while I do, I will be reading along with you for inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dropping in from Soule Mama, what a beautiful home and garden! I'm so glad I stopped by to see all the beauty in your world.

    ReplyDelete

Click on the image to download my free ebook and to join my mailing list

Become a patron!!!

If you like our blog, please become a patron. What the heck does that mean? As a patron, you give us as little as $1 a month (or as much as $20 a month) to show your support and get exclusive, patron-only content from us. You will get tutorials, recipes, inspiration, and support from us, the homesteading, wilderness and homeschooling experts! You can cancel anytime!

https://www.patreon.com/Marblemounthomestead

Popular Posts